CWU Libraries is committed to being a full partner with students and faculty in providing transformative teaching, learning, and research. We provide a wide variety of services, resources, and programs. We seek to make our offerings even more deeply integrated with the needs of our students and the greater CWU community.
- Be a partner in transformative teaching, learning, and research
- Welcome the university community with excellent service and resources, seamless access to those resources and services, and inclusive spaces and programs accessible and approachable to all
- Add to the quality of life of the CWU community
- Create and extend an atmosphere of inclusiveness and diversity
Key Three-Year Goals
- Create welcoming user experiences and inclusive access by transforming physical spaces and creating virtual spaces and services
- Create diversity in the collections across disciplines and formats
- Create pathways to affordable course materials
- Build digital humanities teaching, learning, and research support
- Build data management services
- Create and nurture a nimble, responsive CWU Libraries organization
Anti-Racism Action Plan
The CWU Libraries commits to the dismantling of institutionalized racism through our work. We acknowledge historical and current inequality due to racism in higher education in general and in libraries specifically. We seek to make access to resources for teaching, learning, and research without barrier and without bias.
We commit to:
- Proactive removal of barriers to information and resources
- Making available underrepresented voices in the academic record
- Supporting expansion and deepening of CWU efforts to dismantle institutionalized racism
Specific manifestations of these commitments for Academic Year 2021 are (but not limited to):
- Our outreach to first year students, which we seek to expand;
- Our adding and promoting primary resources from underrepresented groups through our collections;
- Our collaboration across the University to provide and promote dialogue;
- Our contributions to raise the profile of Africana and Black Studies, El Centro Latinx for Latino and Latin American Studies, American Indian Studies, Asian Studies, and Women and Gender Studies
CWU Libraries Newsletter
Previous issuesSpring 2022 (PDF)
Winter 2022 (PDF)
Fall 2021 (PDF)
Spring 2021 (PDF)
Winter 2021 (PDF)
Fall 2020 (PDF)
Spring 2020 (PDF)
Sign up for our quarterly newsletter to receive updates on library events, programs, and services.
History of CWU Libraries
Library Advisory Council
Reports to the Dean of Libraries or designee and shall advise the Dean on the development of library collections, policies, and services. The Council will develop and adopt operational guidelines that will direct the Council’s work into the future. The Council is charged with:
- Providing input and guidance on matters related to the operational effectiveness of the Central Washington University Libraries.
- Serves as advocates for the libraries to the university community and beyond.
- Represents the students, faculty and staff in library-related needs.
- Actively searches for ways to improve the libraries and promote programs to make our patrons aware of our resources and services, including those of the wider community.
- Committee Composition
11 members, including 1 ex-officio (the Dean of Libraries or designee), 10 appointed, including 5 faculty (1 CAH, 1 CEPS, 1 COTS, 1 CB, 1 CWU Center), 1 CWU staff, 1 library faculty/staff, and 3 students (appointed by the Associated Students of Central Board of Directors).
Reports to: Dean of Libraries
Contact: Shelley Berry, Brooks Library
Chair: Yukari Amos
Purpose: Advises the Dean of Libraries on the development of library collections, policies, and services.
- Committee Membership
Committee Membership Member Type Position Member Name Term Ends Ex-officio Interim Dean of Libraries Sydney Thompson n/a Appointed 1 Faculty from CAH Eun Young Lee 06/15/2024 2 Faculty from CEPS
1 Faculty from CB Yurim Lee 06/15/2025 1 Faculty from COTS Sterling Quinn 06/15/2023 1 Faculty from a CWU Center Fang Wang 06/15/2024 1 CWU Staff
06/15/2023 3 CWU Students
1 Library Staff Marty Blackson 06/15/2025
- Reports & Bylaws
Library Advisory Council Bylaws (PDF)
Library Advisory Council Year-End Report 2021-22 (PDF)
Library Advisory Council Dean's Report 06/02/21 (PDF)
Library Advisory Council Dean's Report 02/11/21 (PDF)
Library Advisory Council Dean's Report 10/23/20 (PDF)
Library Advisory Council Dean's Report 05/11/20 (PDF)
Library Advisory Council Dean's Report 02/07/20 (PDF)
Library Advisory Council Dean's Report 10/18/19 (PDF)
Library Advisory Council Dean's Report 06/04/19 (PDF)
- Archives Collection Development Policy
- Archives and Special Collection Research Room Policy
- Closed Circuit Television and Cameras Procedure
- CWU Recognized Student Clubs Use of Brooks Library Space Policy
- Exhibit & Display Policy
- Fair Use Guidelines
- Filming / Photographing In The Library Policy And Procedures
- Gift Policy And Procedures
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL) Borrowing & Lending Policy & Procedures
- Privacy and Confidentiality Policy
- Public Computer Use Policy
- Request For Reconsideration Of Library Resources Policy
- Research Room Policy
- Streaming Content Policy & Procedure